Monday, November 06, 2006

Copycat: Johanna's Roasted Pumpkin Quiche with Blue Cheese

Just before the annual pumpkinfest, Halloween, Johanna posted a recipe for pumpkin quiche with blue cheese and thyme that looked absolutely delicious. So beautifully orange-fleshed and creamy-textured that I simply had to give this quiche a go. I did. So should you. Everybody liked it, and I will certainly pick up another wedge of pumpkin soon.



The only departure from Johanna's recipe was that I used my own shortcrust pastry instead of shop-bought, consisting of 250 ml plain flour, 90 grams butter, a pinch of salt, 1 tsp of dried French herbs and 3 Tbsp of cold water. We sadly don't have butternut squash readily available in Estonia, which explains why my quiche looks like a pale cousin of Johanna's deep orange-yellow quiche. Oh, and I didn't have fresh thyme, but thought the dry herbs in the crust kind of compensate for this. It certainly tasted delicious.

5 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

I saw this on Johanna's blog and thought it looked good, and it looks good here too!

Anonymous said...

Interesting combination... I would like to try it.
Ciao.

Thredahlia said...

Kindlasti väga maitsev pirukas, ja tegelikult on kõrvits ju igas poosis hea :P Mina olen ka täitsa kõrvitsalainel viimasel ajal.

Anonymous said...

Good one, just what I wanted!

Pille said...

Kalyn - it was really good, and I'll be hopefully making it again soon, as bf really loved it:)

Orchidea - you should!

Thredahlia - Sul on tõesti kõrvitsalaine:) Peaks samuti lihtsat kõrvitsa-mannasuppi tegema, kunagi mulle väga maitses.

Roxy - I promise to serve this when you come for a visit!

Johanna - thank you for the great recipe! I do buy ready-made pastry as well, occasionally, but shortcrust is rather effortless to make, so I don't mind buying it. Puff pastry is another matter, though it seems that K. would like to make even that one himself! He really liked this quiche, so this gonna feature in our kitchen frequently:)